Edwin Jackson (pictured) truly fits our search for stories not mentioned in game reports and betting lines.
Jackson was once labeled "a can’t miss" by the Los Angeles Dodgers and pitched for the Las Vegas 51’s in 2003. He debuted for LA that year and beat Randy Johnson in his first start.
Since then it’s been some eight years of mediocrity (54-58 for five teams) and moments of grandeur (14 wins in 2008 for Tampa Bay, no-hitter in 2010 for Detroit).
Jackson comes off a complete-game shutout win for the White Sox over Detroit last Saturday. EJ is streaky so this could trigger a series of quality starts, which means we’re looking to bet him and the underachieving White Sox hard in the next few weeks.
• Boston reliever Daniel Bard is the best since Shakespeare. Bard has 20 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings over 19 appearances.
• Washington pitcher John Lannan has allowed 3 runs or less in each of his last 10 starts.
• Arizona called up Brandon Allen from AAA Reno. Talk about deliver! The 6-2, 235-pound slugger belted a 3-run homer to account for all the runs in a 3-2 win over the Dodgers last Saturday. All the talk is Giants and Rockies in the West, but don’t count Arizona out.
• The big reason PIttsburgh tasted first place in the NL Central is its success within the division. Case in point: An 8-3 record against the Houston Astros. FYI: The Pirates still have 6 games remaining with the Astros – Aug. 29-31 at Houston; Sept. 5-7 at Pittsburgh.
• Square holes in round pegs: Phils lefty Cole Hamels is 3-10 lifetime against the Mets. Giants lefty Barry Zito is 4-9 lifetime against San Diego.
• Joe Nathan is back at the Twins closer after Matt Capps blew his seventh save last Saturday.
To add to the fun of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, GamingToday has teamed up with AGame, a leading marketing company specializing in casino promotions, to create our $100,000 Bracket Buster contest. The contest is free to enter and will offer $100,000 to anyone who fills out a perfect bracket.
- Paddy Power brings sports betting to Facebook
- Parry's NCAA Basketball Power Guide
- Buffalo Sabres clean house against San Jose Sharks
- Follow GamingToday on Twitter
- GamingToday's $100,000 Bracket Buster contest
- Las Vegas 400 is the highest handle race of the season
- Virginia Cavaliers win first ACC Title in 33 years
- Like GamingToday on Facebook