Cardinals predicted to suffer first NFL lossOctober 03, 2012 3:20 PM by Bob Christ
The Arizona Cardinals are one of the feel-good stories of the league this year, but like the Philadelphia Eagles, have been on shaky ground from week to week.
Much has been made of the Cardinals’ 4-0 start being their best since 1974, but maybe that’s not so stunning considering the team has played three of its first four games at home for only the second time in four decades. By contrast, in 11 seasons since landing in the desert they opened with three road battles in their first four outings.
Also, in Week 4 the Cardinals needed overtime to defeat Miami – winning despite only 28 yards rushing, the lousiest total for a victorious NFL team in more than a year.
And don’t disregard the fact Arizona has one of the oldest rosters in the league that’s playing on short rest on the road. Thus, the Cardinals’ unbeaten bubble could be ready to burst.
Now for a closer look at this game:
PRO FOOTBALL THURSDAY, OCT. 4
Arizona Cardinals (4-0) at St. Louis Rams (2-2)
Time: 5:25 p.m. PDT
Line: Cardinals -1 (38½)
Facts: The last time these teams collided, in Week 12 last season, the Cardinals won 23-20 as a 2½-point underdog. The Rams haven’t been a favorite since.
• Arizona is listed as having the fourth-oldest roster at the start of the season. Last year, teams in the top four in age went 0-3 ATS on three day’s rest. Conversely, St. Louis has the youngest roster but is under Jeff Fisher, who’s the second-longest tenured active head coach.
• The Cardinals have gone 11-2 (9-4 ATS) since midseason last year, triggered by a 19-13 home victory against the Rams.
• Arizona is 1-4 ATS as a road favorite the past four seasons.
• The Rams, behind QB Sam Bradford, beat Seattle 19-13 last week, but their only TD came on a pass by the punter out of field goal formation.
Analysis: The Cardinals have had their remarkable run behind QB Kevin Kolb, who was beaten out this summer by last year’s No. 32-rated passer John Skelton, who left with an injury in Week 1. Although Kolb has been steady, with seven TD throws and only two INTs, he’s been under incredible duress, getting sacked eight times last week vs. the Dolphins.
With a running game averaging 2.7 a rush, play-action is a waste of time for the league’s No. 31 offense. On the other hand, St. Louis RB Steven “Whirlpool” Jackson is listed only as “probable” (groin), which is an enormous boost for the Rams.
St. Louis also showed in a Week 2 win over Washington the capability of overcoming adversity, since having a -2 turnover differential in that game.
Forecast: Rams 21, Cardinals 17
“Popular” Bob Christ has been forecasting NFL games for more than 30 years. His work has appeared in newspapers from coast to coast in Canada and the U.S. Contact him at BobChrist@GamingToday.com.
Swish's Free Smart Play of the Day | Swish Analytics prides itself on a data-driven system, and unlike most handicappers, we try to give a detailed statistical breakdown of why and how picks are formulated.
A homecoming four years in the making takes place in Cleveland tonight when LeBron James and the new look Cavaliers play host to Carmelo Anthony and the New York Knicks.
Bob Christ’s Thursday NFL Football Breakdown | For the second time this season, and the 30th since 2008, a Thursday game will feature a home underdog when the Saints play the Panthers in Carolina in a Week 9 NFC South battle.
The Kansas City Royals gave it their all in the World Series. They just didn’t have Madison Bumgarner. He punctuated a World Series performance for the ages by pitching the San Francisco Giants to their third championship in five years.
Las Vegas was good to Wynn Resorts Ltd. in the third quarter but not enough to make up for a stormy three months in Macau. Wynn reported that the company’s revenue dropped 1.4 percent to $1.37 billion in the quarter.
- Follow GamingToday on Twitter
- Vegas sports books get ready for the NBA season
- Be part of the Breeders' Cup seminars
- GamingToday's Beat the Big Dog football contest
- Ryan Newman biggest mover on Vegas odds boards
- GamingToday's Bookies Battle the Point Spreads
- GamingToday Play Free Video Poker
- GamingToday Casino Games and Poker
- Like GamingToday on Facebook